Total Pageviews

In an effort to internationalise the game, a group of nutcases periodically revise the allowed vocabulary. Scrabble vocabulary developed into a bizarre jargon claimed to cover words from other languages. If you only play with friends, use any dictionary without the word "Scrabble" on its cover. This blog is primarily concerned with competitive Scrabble and the incompetence of some of its custodians..

Friday, October 16, 2015

SIMPLY AMAZING

I had the honour of facing the chief of the National Rule’s custodians in a recent tournament. I was both amazed and amused when he committed a couple of ‘rule crimes’, namely:

(a)            While replenishing his rack, he held tiles in one hand and stuck the other hand into the bag in order to collect the remainder of the needed tiles.

(b)           Playing another variation on the theme of how to hold the bag, he held the bag at arm's length, below the level of the table, while looking away from the bag.


There has been a myth propagated by his Victorian rules’ counterpart, that I am always willy nilly accusing other people of cheating , if not cheating myself. So in order to dispel this myth, I hasten to add that the guy had no intention whatsoever to cheat. I am only wondering why he does not practice what he preaches, by following the letter of the rules. I thought he might have been trying to tease me. So, I responded at the time by holding the bag above my head while replenishing my rack. That’ll learn ya!

No comments: