Total Pageviews

In an effort to internationalise the game, a group of nutcases periodically revise the allowed vocabulary. Scrabble vocabulary developed into a bizarre jargon claimed to cover words from other languages. If you only play with friends, use any dictionary without the word "Scrabble" on its cover. This blog is primarily concerned with competitive Scrabble and the incompetence of some of its custodians..

Friday, June 19, 2015

HOW I CAME TO PLAY SCRABBLE

Very few people would disagree with the fact that scrabble is an intriguing and enjoyable game. When I played it with my children, a few decades ago, I imposed several house rules on the very old thick Oxford dictionary we had. The following were disallowed:
Capitalised proper names
Abbreviations
Hyphenated words
Archaic words
Colloquial words
Acronyms
Abbreviations
All foreign language words

As such, scrabble doubled as a linguistic teaching aid, both for my growing children and for myself, being a new-comer to the hard-to-master but beautiful language.

As a retiree, the word “scrabble” caught my eye in an advertisement in the local paper. I made enquiries with Val Hardiman and got information about her group. Five years later, I headed to the address given. There, I made a gross mistake by joining a “beginners group” run by another lady. All I learnt as a “beginner” was that the game had been mutilated. It became quite different from the refined version I played with my children. The lady in charge had the habit of peeking into the bag, for educational purposes, in order to demonstrate that it was possible to have multiple bingos in a single game. She enjoyed the ohs and wows of the captive beginners, every time she tossed down one of her bingos.

It didn’t take long before I moved to Val’s group. Val Hardiman is a real mature old lady that commands respect. Her game is most enjoyable, to the extent that I can wrench a win from her every now and then! She knows the rules of the game and adheres to them. Unlike some other dubious players, she lifts the bag high with no signs of fatigue at her mature age. She acts like a magnet that attracts other players, who travel a fair distance to join us. We have a spacious room with kitchen facilities. We are within walking distance from Watsonia Railway Station. We are a functioning club, unlike the many dysfunctional clubs, existing only on a hopeful club list. New members are always welcome, we cater for all levels :

Tuesdays 12:30 - 4:00
Watsonia Neighbourhood House
Cnr Lambourn Rd and Kenmare St
Watsonia

(Check with Rose at the office in order to locate our room)

No comments: