Total Pageviews

In an effort to internationalise the game, a group of nutcases periodically revise the allowed vocabulary. Scrabble vocabulary developed into a bizarre jargon claimed to cover words from other languages. If you only play with friends, use any dictionary without the word "Scrabble" on its cover. This blog is primarily concerned with competitive Scrabble and the incompetence of some of its custodians..

Friday, June 5, 2015

MEANING OF "JUXTAPOSE"

Juxtapose is a word I never wanted to make part of my usable vocab. It means to put side by side, especially when the intended use of the peculiar word is to highlight cramming together different or incompatible items.


I have recently seen the word misused by a scrabble player to mean “exchange positions” in the sentence below:


The only way that made sense was that I had misspelled DIAPASE by juxtaposing the "IA".


Well, whether it’s  “DIAPASE” or “DAIPASE”, the A and the I are juxtaposed in both words.


English, being a second language for me, always puts me on my toes when I feel like using unfamiliar words, for the sake of using them. Knowing words is one thing, but knowing how to use the right word is another story. The right word in the above context would  be "transposing" rather than "juxtaposing".



1 comment:

Frank Csarics said...

Mohammed re : Lessons from the past ", your other versions of reality, and your repeated claims that the majority of the members of ASPA (Vic) are ignorant.

Now, Jimmy, until I read some of your many hallucinogenic fuelled posts, I believed I was a member of one large group of informed, very contented, like minded, respectable and very honest people. These are the types of people who make ASPA (Vic ) one great association to be a proud member of.


Suddenly, after over 27 years of being involved with these same bright, happily accommodating ASPA (Vic ) people, you have been writing for all the world to read that, based on your perceived " hindsight wisdom" ( citations required ) I learn from you that I'm ignorant.

I find you calling me ignorant to be very offensive and extremely insulting.

Further, Jimmy, I have to request from you, without prejudice, nor any malice whatsoever intended towards you, an answer, because of you constantly deliberately denigrating me in writing on the internet for everyone in the world to read when referring to me as being a memeber of the ignorant majority of ASPA ( Vic ) this : are you a plagiarist?

Your posts appear to be written as a second person plagiarisation, of an inmate, from the classic 1962 novel by Ken Kesey, which was set in Oregon, USA.

It is absolutely essential for me to know precisely, in full detail, and for my own peace of mind, why you specifically single me out, as a collective majority memeber of APA ( Vic ), that you called me ignorant.

It is not unreasonable for me to assume that ALL of the ASPA ( Vic ) members you continuously refer to as being " the ignorant majority " will be eagerly waiting for you, Jimmy, to clearly explain to me, and everyone else INDIVIDUALLY, why we, as you continue to claim so assertively on the internet, are all ignorant.

I, for one, would like to know what it is I'm supposed to be ignorant of.

May you find eternal peace whilst on your endless wisdom seeking journey.

Frank Csarics