Total Pageviews

In an effort to internationalise the game, a group of nutcases periodically revise the allowed vocabulary. Scrabble vocabulary developed into a bizarre jargon claimed to cover words from other languages. If you only play with friends, use any dictionary without the word "Scrabble" on its cover. This blog is primarily concerned with competitive Scrabble and the incompetence of some of its custodians..

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

THE SCRABBLE ASYLUM, gossiping old women


Scrabble players are not exactly a representative sample of society at large. Gossiping old women constitute a large majority of ASPA membership.


During a three-day tournament (Vic Champs 2015), I was asked by Carol J., the arch Victorian gossip machine, to have a word in private. She told me that I called another player a cheat. I asked her, “To whom did I say that?”.  After a bit of hesitation, she said, “John R.”. I took her over to John and asked him while pointing at her, “Did you tell her that I said to you that another player is a cheat?”. The reply by John was not important. It would have made no difference to the situation if he said "yes" or "no". So, I turned to Carol and said, “Go away!”. I left the scene in disgust. It was not the first, and would not be the last attempt by Carol to try to implicate me in a contrived incident. Such attempts are her only hope to regain some credibility after losing in court.

I made further inquiries on the day. It transpired that another gossiping ancient woman (R from QLD, who unluckily survived WW2) had been eavesdropping on a private conversation. Carol did not have the wisdom to differentiate between hearsay gossip and a written claim of a real incident to be investigated.

No comments: